Diana's Travel Chania Crete
The narrowest part of the gorge
One of the most famous places to see on Crete is the Samaria Gorge, Europe’s largest gorge. This National Park is 18kms long with unbelievable natural beauty. The gorge is rich with many endemic flowers & herbs with crystal clear spring water flowing from the mountains. – you can even refill your water bottles with it!
The average walking time through the Samaria gorge is 4-6 hours & is on a foot path with rocks & along the river bed. It is mostly downhill (particularly steep in the beginning) & then the final part is in the sun. Agia Roumeli village is where the walk ends & you can enjoy a swim in the Libyan Sea or have lunch one of the many tavernas. From here there is a ferry that takes you to Sougia, where the coach is waiting for you at the harbour & you drive back over the mountains to the north coast to the place where you were picked up.
The guide on the trip will give you information on the coach & you are free to walk at your own pace. The guide follows to ensure everyone comes out at the end & he/she is there if you need assistance. The guide tells you where to meet at the bottom & it is a hassle free trip.
Itinerary - The trip starts with an early pick up from the nearest point to your accommodation (between 05.30 -06.30) and drive through the mountains passing the plateau of Omalos to the wooden stairs at the start of the gorge Arrival at approx. 07.30
- The guide collects the entrance fees on the coach & he issues your tickets before you get off the coach.
- You will stop at Omalos at one of the tavernas to get a coffee /breakfast and then you are taken to the start of the gorge.
-The walk should take at least 6-7 hours (if walk slowly & look around to enjoy)
You can refill your water bottles during the walk at the specifi springs.
- Once finished, ample time for a swim in the Lybian Sea & have lunch at a taverna in Agia Roumeli
- Meet the guide to collect ferry tickets.(the guide will tell you where & at what time)
- 18.00 the ferry boat leaves for Sougia
- Coach ride from Sougia to the north coast.
- Arrival back at the pick-up point at approximately 20:00-20.30
Note: If you suffer from a heart condition, high blood pressure, breathing problems, weakness of knees or other knee disorders, vertigo, or pregnant women- THE SAMARIA GORGE IS OFF LIMITS TO YOU, for your own safety! This is not an easy walk. It’s 12miles/18kms of sometimes very steep and rough terrain. The heat is also a factor that you must keep in mind.