Diana's Travel Chania Crete
Samaria Gorge Express/Late Tour
One of the most famous places to see on Crete is the Samaria Gorge, Europe’s largest gorge. This National Park is 18kms long with unbelievable natural beauty. The gorge is rich with many endemic flowers & herbs with crystal clear spring water flowing from the mountains. – you can even refill your water bottles with it!
The average walking time through the Samaria gorge is 4-6 hours & is on a foot path with rocks & along the river bed. It is mostly downhill (particularly steep in the beginning) & then the final part is in the sun. Agia Roumeli village is where the walk ends & you can enjoy a swim in the Libyan Sea or have lunch one of the many tavernas. From here there is a ferry that takes you to Sougia, where the coach is waiting for you at the harbour & you drive back over the mountains to the north coast to the place where you were picked up.
On the Samaria Express Late Tour you will meet the guide at the entrance of the Samaria gorge (Omalos) & they will collect the entrance fees & issue tickets & tell you where to meet at the bottom. Everyone walks the gorge at their own pace.
The guide follows the last people on the walk, to ensure everyone comes out at the end & he/she is there if you need assistance. The guide tells you where to meet at the bottom & it is a hassle free trip.
Itinerary - The trip starts with a slightly later pick up from the nearest point to your accommodation (between 06.45 from Kissamos & 07.30 from Chania town center) and drive through the mountains passing the plateau of Omalos until to the wooden stairs at the start of the gorge. Arrival time is approx. 08.15- 08.30.
- There will be a guide who will collects the entrance fees & boat fare on the coach & issues your tickets before you get off the coach.
- There is a small shop/cafe at the start of the gorge if you need a coffee/breakfast or a snack to take with you on the walk. - The walk should take at least 6-7 hours (if you walk slowly & look around to enjoy- which is the purpose of the trip).
You can refill your water bottles during the walk at the specific springs.
- Once finished, there is ample time for a swim in the Lybian Sea & to have lunch at a taverna in Agia Roumeli.
- Meet the guide to collect ferry tickets.( the guide will tell you where & at what time in the morning)
- 17.30 the ferry boat departs for Sougia (45mins boat ride)
- Coach ride from Sougia to the north coast.
- Arrival back at the pick-up point at approximately 20:00-20.30
Note: If you suffer from a heart condition, high blood pressure, breathing problems, weakness of knees or other knee disorders, vertigo, or pregnant women- THE SAMARIA GORGE IS OFF LIMITS TO YOU, for your own safety! This is not an easy walk. It’s 12miles/18kms of very steep and rough terrain. The heat is also a factor that you must keep in mind.
Details for the Samaria Express/Late
Price for Samaria Gorge EXPRESS/ LATE Trip:
Adults: € 30
Children (5 -12 years) :€15
-It is not recommended for children under 5 years old for safety reasons.
Day of Samaria Gorge EXPRESS/LATE trip:
Pick up time: 06.30 - 07.30
(depending on where along the coast road- see the Pick up Points page )
(This smaller coach ONLY picks up along the main coast road from Kissamos to Chania town- no other options are available) ** Extra charge for Kissamos village pick up as it is farthest away on the main road € 10
Duration of Samaria Gorge Trip:
-12 hours approx.
-Transfer with air-conditioned mini van
- A guide for the Samaria gorge (not on the coach) that speaks English, French, German & Greek (they do not walk with you, they just ensure you complete the walk & are there if you need assistance).
Excludes- Payable on the day:
-Entrance fee to the Samaria Gorge
(€5 Adults & children up to 15 years old are free)
-Boat tickets for Sougia
Adults : €10
Children (5-12 years) : €5,50
-Meals & drinks
What to wear:
Walking shoes/boots or trainers with a good grip are a must!
What to bring:
To book the Samaria Gorge Express Late Trip, you will need to book at least 1 day in advance to reserve your seat & make payment. We cannot hold seats, payment has to be made first.