Diana's Travel Chania Crete
Knossos Palace & Heraklion Town
A visit to Crete is not complete unless you have visited the magnificent Palace of Knossos - the legendary palace of King Minos. The Palace is 5 km south of Heraklion and dates back to 2000 BC. Excavated and partly restored by Sir Arthur Evans at the beginning of the century, Knossos gives a vivid picture of the prosperous and sophisticated capital of Minoan civilization. The intricate Palace is claimed by some to be the mythical labyrinth in which Theseus slew the Minotaur.
You will have the services of a guide who will present the facts and legends of this incredible discovery. Then there is time to explore Heraklion city where you can go to the Archaeological Museum. Although part of it is closed for renovations for a few years, all the important items are on display in the temporary exhibition.
- The Knossos trip starts with an early pick up from the nearest point to your accommodation (between 06.30 -08.00) & proceed eastwards.
- After approximately one hour, we take a coffee break outside the town of Rethymno.
- Approximate arrival is 10:30 at Knossos Palace/Temple. Tour on foot for approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Arrival at Heraklion city at approximately 13:00. Two hours are allotted for lunch, shopping or an optional visit to the Archaeological Museum.
- Departure from Heraklion at approximately 16:00.
- After 1 hour, a short break at an olive oil factory.
- Arrival back to the pick-up point at approximately 18:00.
Details for Knossos Trip
Price for Knossos Day Trip:
Children (5 -11 years) :€19
Day of Trip: Sundays
Pick up time: 06.20 - 08.40
(depending on where- see the Pick up Points page )
If your accommodation is not on the route of the coach, we can provide a pick up with an extra cost 3€ - 15€ for the extra distance to take you to the coach.
Duration-12 hours approx.
- Transfers on air-conditioned buses
- Greek/English/German speaking guide
Excludes- Payable on the day:
- Entrance fee to Knossos & the museum €16 Adults & Children under 18 yrs old are free.
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
What to wear:
-Comfortable walking shoes
-Hat & lotion for protection from the sun
- Short information will be given upon arrival in Heraklion to help to get around on your own.
- Children under 5 years old are free of charge, but they must ride on adult’s lap.
To book the Knossos trip, you will need to book at least 1 day in advance to reserve your seat & make payment.