Diana's Travel Chania Crete
Elafonissi Beach Trip
Elafonissi Via Topolia
This trip is great if you want to see quite a bit of Crete as well as the famous Elafonissi beach, which is located on the far south west tip of Crete.
Elafonissi Beach was named 9th in the list of "Top Beaches of the WORLD!"
A trip to this famous lagoon with its crystal clear water and pink coral sands is unforgettable. Located on the far south west tip of Crete the drive takes you inland via the spectacular Topolia Gorge. The first stop enroute to the beach is the St Irini (Agia Irini) cave – there are about 240 steps up to the cave with stalagmites, stalactites and the small chapel.
A few kilometres further on you arrive at Elafonissi beach around midday. You are free to rent a sun bed or wade across to the island. In peak season it can be a very busy place. There are canteens for drinks & snacks. On the return journey we stop at the lovely shady village of Elos, home of the chestnut festival in October. Here you can have a snack or coffee or ice cream at one of the tavernas in the village.
It is a great way to see quite a bit of the island & have time for a swim as well. If you take a local bus, you would only get to see the beach & not stop off anywhere & you wouldn't see the west coast or have a guide.
- The trip starts with a pick up from the nearest point to your accommodation (between 08.00 -09.00)
- At approximately 10.00 the journey inland begins. We stop for approx 45 minutes at Agia Sophia cave (canteen & cafe facilities available)
- Elafonissi Beach approx 11.30 – 15.00.
- Elos Village stop approx 50mins.
(optional to enjoy a Cretan dish)
- Arrival back at the starting point approx 18.00-18.30
If you wish to go only to the Elafonissi Beach & not see any of the sights, you can join the Elafonissi Express Transfer Coach. No guide, just the ride. Note the pick up points are only from Chania town to Nopigia.
See the webpage for details.
Details for Elafonissi Trip
Price for Elafonissi Trip:
Children (5- 12 years old): €16
Day of Elafonissi Trip: Monday - Wednesday & Friday
Pick up time: 07.15 - 09.30
(depending on where- see the Pick up Points page )
(If you are staying East of Chania there is an extra cost for the extra distance for pick up from €3 - €15 per person)
Duration of Elafonissi Trip:
-9 hours approx.
- Greek/English/German speaking guide
- Transfers with air-conditioned buses
Excludes- Payable on the day:
- Meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Tips and gratuities
What to wear:
Comfortable shoes for walking up to the cave
Hat & suntan cream
- Children under 5 years old are free of charge but they must ride on adult’s lap.
- Entrance fee to monastery is free for guests under 18 years old.
To book the Elafonissi Day Trip, you will need to book at least 1 day in advance to reserve your seat & make payment.
The clear waters of Elafonissi